Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Haikus for Jews

I had no school on Monday due to Veterans Day
(though what better place to remember than school?)
and I went to Ollie's,
my favorite cheap bookstore.
It was there I found Haikus for Jews by David Bader.
I laughed so hard the checkout that I distracted
the checkout people several displays away.

That night I reread it in bed.
Poor Denny.
Between my laugh decibels and my sneeze decibels
it's a wonder that he has any hearing left.

Following is a smattering:

Scrabble anarchy
after Putzhead is placed on
a triple word score.

Like a bonsai tree,
your terrible posture at
my dinner table.

The spitting image
of her father. Down the road
rhinoplasty, yes?

Today I am a
man. Tomorrow I return to
the seventh grade.

Left the door open
for the prophet Elijah.
Now our cat is gone.

Bare autumn branches,
the old crow sits. Mother, come
down from there at once.

Hava nagila,
hava nagila, hava--
enough already.

S.

No comments: