Saturday, March 29, 2008

Spring Thoughts of Grandma Maud

Today was a beautiful early spring day,
sunny,
approaching fifty degrees.
I thought of my grandma, Maud Rensel.
She was a superb gardener;
her table was usually topped
with an artistic display of flowers.

During the early spring,
if budding forsythia branches are placed in water
and put in a warm place,
they'll bloom early and put on a lovely yellow display.
As I went to one of our budding forsythia bushes
and clipped a number of wands,
I thought of Maud.
When I took her graceful lead crystal vase
directly from the hot dishwasher,
I thought of Maud
...and as filled the vase with water
and heard a telltale "ping" as it cracked,
a word came to mind,
and, again, I thought of Maud.

1 comment:

mike said...

This comment is from a long ago post ... just in the fall Georgetown converted its computer labs from Windows XP to Vista (trumpets sound). In the process they also acquired the new Microsoft Office Suite.

The end of the story is that I spent many too many hours trying to do things I already knew how to do, except that our buddies at Microsoft felt a need to move all the buttons and menus around in incomprehensible ways (no love for the actual customers, it seems). You know, just meaningless tasks like "Print" and "Save".

I learned to use Powerpoint mostly on those computers, for a class I was teaching. And now I don't know how to use it on my OWN computer.

I feel your pain. Or, at least, I felt also the pain that you felt.

And maybe hatred and anger. But I'm not sure if you felt those too.