Saturday, April 12, 2014

Thoughts on Runaway Bunnies

 

















The kids sit boy-girl-boy-girl
in a semicircle on the floor for reading.

I introduce the book:
The Runaway Bunny by Margaret Wise Brown.
M begins.
Once there was a little bunny who wanted to run away.
So he said to his mother,
"I am running away."
"If you run away,"
said his mother,
"I will run after you.
For you are my little bunny."

S reads next.
"If you run after me," said the little bunny,
"I will become a fish in a trout stream
and I will swim away from you."
"If you become a fish in a trout stream,"
said his mother,
"I will become a fisherman
and I will fish for you."
"Awww, Mrs. Shaffner, this is a such a nice story."

Reading Margaret Wise Brown is such a soothing experience.
Goodnight Moon.
The Friendly Book.
Even her name is soothing.
Say it:
Margaret Wise Brown.
Even the word "bunny" is soothing. 
Curious George played with bunnies.
Snoopy loves bunnies, too,
and even gave up his beloved
because she ate bunnies.

 B continues.
"If you become a fisherman,"
said the little bunny,
"I will become a rock
on the mountain high above you."
"If you become a rock
on the mountain high above me,"
said his mother,
"I will be a mountain climber
and I will climb to where you are."

 It enters my mind
that The Runaway Bunny is a retelling
of Jesus's parable of the Lost Lamb.

It's A's turn.
"If you become a mountain climber,"
said the little bunny,
"I will be a crocus in a hidden garden."
"If you become a crocus in a hidden garden,"
said his mother,
"I will be a gardener. And I will find you."

The idea held up throughout the rest of the book,
and at the end,
the little bunny decided
that living with his mother
was a good choice.
She then gave him a carrot.

As we begin Holy Week,
The Runaway Bunny
will be my mental children's sermon.
We are loved.
We are pursued.
We have been given the directions home
where there is a warm hug waiting.
And maybe carrots.

Let's go home.



No comments: