Sunday, September 30, 2007

Lessons Learned By Confusing Contact Lens Wetting Solution With Cleaning Solution


Friday morning I was relying on habit
(the bigger bottle is the wetting solution)
rather than remembering the times are a-changing
(the bigger bottle also has a red lid, signifying cleaning solution).
Oooooooooooops.

Lessons learned:

  • Little suction cups for stubborn lens removal aren't cheap.
  • Contacts can act as bandages. The pain gets worse when you take them out.
  • Chemical burns heal more slowly than abrasions.
  • Eye patches don't make pirates say, "Arrrrrrgh!" But pain might....
  • Eye patches need to be pretty thick to keep your eye closed.
  • One eye really wants to do what the other one is doing.
  • If I go blind, one of the things I'll miss most is reading.
  • When walking blind, shade is an indication you're about to hit a building.
  • Depth perception really is dependent on a two-eye system.
  • Eyes react even when they're closed. They move at changes of light and sound.
  • Eye surgeon friends who check up on me are a blessing.
  • If it doesn't get worse, it's probably getting better.
  • I'm vainer than I thought. I wore sunglasses to church.
  • I'm thankful to get back to the normalcy of one eye smaller than the other.

And, on an unrelated topic, nail polish on a bug bite sometimes makes the itch go away.

Sue

2 comments:

Janet said...

Well, at least you can see enough to type. But oh honey, what an owie. Reminds me of the time you used super glue to put on fake long red fingernails when you played the blond floozie in "Little Shop of Horrors." You probably didn't want to be reminded of that. Isn't it amazing what trivia my brain can access---how long ago was that, anyway? But I can't remember if I made a certain phone call this morning, or just thought about making the call and never actually did it.
I was just cleaning out my inbox and found the email you sent announcing this blog and wondered if reading it would lessen my delight in your annual Christmas letter, if I get doses of your wit throughout the year. We'll see.
Janet

Anonymous said...

Ouch!
I once squirted isopropyl alcohol in my eye. ten years later my eye still tires quicker than the other and turns blood red till I am rested again.

Hope you recover fully and quickly.

Donnie