Monday, January 28, 2008

In Person

Punxsutawney Phil,
the world famous weather prognosticating groundhog,
visited my school recently.
Later, when composing my classroom newsletter,
I gave advice on attending Groundhog Day.
"If you want to see the groundhog in person,
you need to go early,
as you'll need to park in downtown Punxutawney
and take a bus to Gobbler's Knob."
I chuckled over seeing the groundhog "in person"
instead of "in groundhog."
Then I discovered I was unsure of what "in person" meant.
If I went to see James Taylor in person,
was he the person, or was I the person?
We both had to be at the same place at the same time....
I surveyed a few colleagues, with mixed results.
My googling was inconclusive as well.
I'm now expanding my survey to include you.
What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I never thought of it before... I would think that I saw James Taylor in person means I saw him with my own two eyes. If you are blind and you go to the concert are you hearing him in person? I suppose so. No electronics involved with the seeing statement but there is a microphone and speakers for hearing him in person... Good question. I think you so Phil in person and he saw you in groundhog. Hope that doesn't insult you.:O)

KJBLS said...

i agree with the culvers