Saturday, January 19, 2008

Kitchen Goddess? Not.

I think I have a pretty good vocabulary.
The Reader's Digest vocab tests aren't much of a challenge.
I can probably feed a small child on a visit to the free rice website.
I can hold my own in most games of Trivial Pursuit.
But my intellectual self-image took a major hit at the grocery store this morning.

Den and I were at the local upscale grocery store
so I could pick up some ginger root.
While he perused the seafood,
I ducked down the baking aisle to get dark molasses
and to escape the sticker shock I get at the seafood counter.
Across the aisle were pots and pans.
Doing a price comparison on an item I just sent to Tanzania,
I noticed an adjoining label said "saucepan."
Saucepan??
Pans are low. Pots are higher.
I teach that in first grade phonics.
But saucepans are high.
I never knew that.
I guess that explains why I've never been referred to as a kitchen goddess.

S.

No comments: