Thursday, November 13, 2008

I don't know.... Alaska.

At the end of each first grade day, 
we learn another line in the song "The Fifty States That Rhyme."
We discuss what we might visit and do in each new state, 
then review what we've learned:
Did you know that you can search for diamonds in Arkansas?
That eating cheese curds makes a squeaking sound? 
Did you know 
that the stack of states from Louisiana to Minnesota 
looks like an elf?
That Montana looks like a man looking over a cliff? 
(Actually, I'm pretty sure the man is Richard Nixon.)

Did you know that parts of Alaska are dark even in the daytime?
We talk about Alaska a lot,
as it was my most recent vacation.  
Teacher prerogative.
Yesterday Joel asked me what the capital of Alaska is.
I replied, "Juneau."
Joel said, "No."
I said, "No?"
He looked puzzled. "No, I DON'T know...
 that's why I asked you."

True story.

S.

1 comment:

mike said...

I had to think about that for a second ... and then I was really happy/amused. Fun times. :-)