Wednesday, November 26, 2008

A Thankful ABC

While cleaning out the costume closet last weekend,
I found my Pilgrim skirt.
"I'll wear that on Wednesday for Thanksgiving," I thought,
and put it in a good place.
This morning, 
unable to remember where that "good place" was,
I wore plan B,
my dad's leather Indian shirt 
complete with bones, teeth, antlers, 
hair (both horsehair and my mom's hair),
and lots and lots of fringe.

Today while kids walked under those fringed sleeves,
I asked what they were thankful for:
"Parents."
"My family."
"My mom."
All nice-but-bland answers
'til I got to one wild-haired boy...
"Banana cream pie!! We're having it tomorrow!"

In my classroom,
we worked on Thankful ABC lists.
B was for bologna,
G was for God,
and also for "Gesus" 
(makes sense if you think only of the letter name)
T was for "Teecher,"
X for X-box.

Den and I are working on our own list:
Antioxidants in dark chocolate
Bedtime reading
Chocolate milk
Desks, clean
Eggs, deviled (next on the job list)
Friends who pray
Grandbabies
Hot showers
Iditarod show on the Discovery Channel
Jobs finished
K
Lap cats
Moose Tracks ice cream
Nightly news (most of the time)
Owl sounds
Pilgrims (ten-greats-ago grandfather was Peter Browne, 
who actually not a Pilgrim,
 but was on the Mayflower)
Quilts (actually, down comforters)
Retirement is on the way!
Snowblowers
Trips just about anywhere
Uncle Jack conversations
Vacation days
Windows
X
Yancey books
Zappia's bread, warm, with butter

Happy Thanksgiving.
May this day find you truly thankful.
What is on your list this year?

No comments: